Sunday, January 25, 2009

Food

So in my family I am known as the pickiest of eaters. They joke that I don't eat anything. So Taiwan has been semi rough on me to actually find food that I will eat. Basically I eat at the same three places, or I find dumplings cause those are usually safe. But I just want my family to know how good I have been about being an adventurous eater lately. On Tuesday my boss took us all out to dinner and our two appetizers were pickled radishes which were ok and pig ear. Which I want them to know I did try. At dinner we also had huge shrimp still with legs and eyes (I did not eat) and a huge flounder fish that kept looking at me because it still had its eyes (I did not eat that either). The rest of the food was ok. Then on Friday one of our students, Kitty, her parents took us to this amazing restaurant. We each got to pick an appetizer, antipasta, salad, soup, palette cleanser (it came in a shot glass), a main dish, a drink (most of us got a mango shake), and a desert!!! The appetizer was shrimp and aspargus in an amazing sauce, and I did eat one shrimp. I also had the cheese and beef antipasta, a salad, pumpkin mushroom soup, steak, mango shake, and ice cream with a chocolate bag!! This was probably the most amazing meal of my life. Now today... Today three of my students Edward, Trevor (twins), and Vincent invited me and teacher Hanna to their house for a chinese new year dinner. 90% of the dinner was fish. I had a shrimp that still had the legs on it, Trevor peeled it for me. I ate the fish, which I tried to sneak only a little, but the mother gave me more. A meatball made with shrimp, and some soup that had octopus and squid, I did however avoid the meat in that one.  So I want my family to know that I am embracing the great food around here. And I wanted to tell my dad that yes, they do eat dog around here, its just hard to find and usually the stray dogs around here will mess with you after you eat dog, because they can sense that you ate one of them. I have a personal source on that one. 

1 comment:

The Hall Family said...

Hi Sarah! I'm excited you have a blog! I love to travel, so now I can check out what you are up to over there! I have always been worried about how I would do with the food over there...so proud of you for trying! You are braver than I am! Put some pictures up so that we can see you!
Lisa